Thursday, 19 March 2009

3rd Time lucky?

I have tried to publish this blog three times now - all as unsuccessful as the other. I am attempting to copy and paste a poem but every time it makes the page go funny. Being so rubbish with blogs does not help the matter! So I shall just write it instead (and retype the rest of the blog - Oh the joys!)

A Dream Within A Dream
Take this kiss upon the brow!
And, in parting from you now,
Thus much let me avow-
You are not wrong, who deem
That My days have been a dream;
Yet if hope has flown away
In a night, or in a day,
In a vision, or in none,
Is it therefore the less gone?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.

I stand amid the roar
Of a surf-tormented shore,
And I hold within my hand
Grains of the golden sand - 
How few! Yet how they creep
Through my fingers to the deep,
While I weep- while I weep!
O God! can I not grasp
Them with a tighter clasp?
Oh God! can I not save
One from the pitiless wave?
Is all that we see or seem
But a dream within a dream?
- E.A.Poe

 I recently purchased a few books; 
- Tales of Mystery and Imagination by E.A.Poe
- Geek Love by Katherine Dunn
- Dracula by Bram Stoker.

I am afraid to admit that I had never read the whole of Dracula before now and so I bought it so that can now read it. Geek Love is a wonderfully weird and fascinating book. Full of wit and sarcasm surrounding views on human nature. It is written in a morbidly humorous nature but much darkness envelopes the story.

Talking about furthering my reading, there are also a few films which have been recommended to me;

- The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. Graham (My lecturer) and myself were discussing my work and this discussion naturally led onto films and directors. I mentioned my love of the director Tim Burton and of my fascination with the film 'Freaks' and he insisted upon my watching of the Cabinet of Dr. Caligari.

I definately shall be watching this in the near future - sounds like it's right down my street. I think I should now describe briefly what the film 'Freaks' is about. 'Freaks' is a 1932 horror film depicting the lives of sideshow performers. It is not a modern day horror but it most certainly is surreal at the very least. Most of the cast were well known performers of the time, some of them characterising quite disturbing 'creatures'. Every time I watch the film, however, I get more and more infatuated with the story, it is nearly heart breaking. The performers, most of whom are deformed to some degree, are shown as incredibly vulnerable and honest people, whereas the 'normal' people are shown as the real freaks - the monsters that they become in the film. The film is just brilliant at capturing human nature with all of it's faults. 

 -Martyrs. A French horror film released last year, directed by Pascal Laugier. I find European and Asian horror films so much better and far more powerful than their American counterparts. I nearly cry when I hear of an American remake of one of the classics in the genre. I watched Martyrs the night I was told about it - I was very impressed with it. The directing of the film was spot on and I am looking forward to Laugier's remake of Hellraiser. I'm not going to describe the film as I do not wish to spoil the viewing for anyone, but this film is definitely going to make it into my DVD collection.


I have described how my project started off with the Surrealists, my ideas then started to move forward, still looking to the movement but changing direction slightly. I began looking into the concept of found art, Marcel Duchamp's work did not necessarily excite me but I was really interested in where I could progress with the idea. I started to move into the area of artists such as Rauschenberg and Joseph Cornell.

I have a fascination for, and love collecting, anything old or unwanted. Things that people would throw away - Old books, music scores, metal whistles, old jewellery - Well I could go on forever, but what I wanted and still want to do with the continuation of this project is to explore how these items could be re-used, re-imagined into pieces of art.






No comments:

Post a Comment