Friday, 24 April 2009

Lanchester Gallery Project


Well the last three days I have spent doing a group 'mini' project. The exhibiton has now all been put up in the Lanchester Gallery within the Graham Sutherland building. Just one group has yet to complete their pieces.

We were lucky to have been able to work with Ben Cove in order to produce the material for this exhibition. He asked us to research and make a piece of work relating to the city (Coventry) and exhibit it as a group show.

This was separate to our regular studio work and he wanted us to experiment and try something new. As we were only given 3 days for this project (one of research, one to make out piece and one to exhibit it) I did not want to create something too different or new so instead of changing media, I changed the subject of my piece. I am a people person (well I like painting people) so I thought I would try my hand at a more landscape piece. I did, however, wish to use a lot of found material I sourced on the internet. This material included old postcards, photographs and also, people's memories of their past in Coventry. These I found really interesting and wished to use them somehow. Then I found a photograph of the Cathedral just after it had been bombed so there was a lot of rubble in the picture - I thought it would be appropriate to tear up the memories and place them as the rubble at the bottom of the painting.

I am really happy with my idea but I felt that I just did not have enough time available to me in order to produce a great piece of work. It wasn't bad, it just didn't feel finished and definitely not ready to be placed in a gallery space. However, I do understand that everyone was in exactly the same position as me and so I'm going to try not to fret so much. On that note I shall upload a picture of the painting (not great quality - I was in a rush) and shall prepare for criticism :). I would just like to say that this has been a great opportunity to work with a practicing artist and being pushed to do something different has definitely helped my confidence in my work.


No comments:

Post a Comment